Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Internet Desensitization

Normally when you read about desensitization it's to violence or sex but not this time. I've got a different bone to pick with the internet today. Remember back when you were growing up and all week you'd look forward the newest episode of your favorite show. Do you remember the sense of excitement you got from seeing the previews all week? Do you remember how disheartening it was when you missed the new episode? You couldn't hope for a rerun for at least six months. Sure, you could tape it but what if you couldn't? You were screwed, plain and simple. You couldn't ask your friends what happened because kids are horrible at remembering their lunch, let alone the numerous skits on an entire episode of All That.
Think about how our television watching habits are handled today. If we miss an episode we can always watch it online. And I'm not sure I'm okay with that. Lately I've been watching How I Met Your Mother all the way through. I've watched seasons 1-6 and am currently on episode 8 of season 7. That's nearly 53 hours of television over the course of 2 weeks. That means that during one week I've spent more than an entire day watching one show. How ridiculous is that? It says a lot about me and my schedule but also how readily available it is to watch a show.
My question is, is it such a good thing? Should I be able to devote entire days to watching a show that on a fairly consistent basis breaks my heart? Or does the blame fall less on the internet or more onto me for allowing myself to devote that much time to watching moving pictures of fictional characters? Maybe it is me who's to blame. Maybe I shouldn't watch so much damn tv. Maybe I should spend more time reading the bible or exercising. Maybe I should stop starting sentences with the word maybe.

Maybe...

1 comment:

  1. Scarce things are more valuable. This reminds me of an argument I made a long time regarding how to use the law of marginal utility for optimal gain.

    I'mma going to wait until I post some other stuff before I come back to comment on this.

    ReplyDelete