Saturday, June 9, 2012

A Borderline Follow Up

Yesterday while hanging out with my friend and asked her a question that just popped into my head.
Am I a likeable person? It's really a set up question. I already knew the answer. Of course I am. I'm a chameleon. But this set up question number two: Am I too likeable? There's a part of me that thinks that I am too likeable. Or perhaps, too flirty? Or maybe people just give me too much of a chance to make them fall for me.
Don't get me wrong, I don't intend on having people fall for me but I think that I think if given time I can do it. That sounds horrible, but to be honest when you study people for so long you start to pick up on what they want to hear. This goes back to the chameleon thing. I think perhaps I try too hard for people to like me. That leads to me becoming too flirty and ultimately too likeable.
I know that there are people out there that would want to be more likeable but I worry that in my case I'm taking advantage of people. Not in a sexual or monetary way, but in an emotional way. I think I've gotten to the point where making friends is less about what we actually like but manipulating them into liking me.
Maybe I'm wrong and over think the idea of making friends but it seems like that's what I do. Maybe that's what everybody does to some extent and we just don't realize it. Take going to the bar for example. You don't go into a bar planning on just being yourself. You go in with the intention of having a good time and meeting a few nice ladies (or dudes if you're into that). I've only been to a bar a couple of times in my life because of my stance on alcohol, but in the short amount of time I've been in them that's what I noticed.
That's not how people are going to act on Monday morning. They're not going to be so outgoing and free about everything. That's before they've even begin drinking. They make this connection in their brain that that's a place of openness and that they can be anything they want. But what they want to be the most is liked, so they end up changing who they are. Or if they aren't that good at it they let the beer do it for them.
Now, I'm not sure that a lot of people would even notice their change in personality. In fact I don't think any of them do unless they do something wrong. Most alcoholics don't recognize the problem until something happens and it makes them stop and look back on their life. The same with people being a chameleon. It's not until we do something stupid or something we never thought we would do do we start to recognize what we're doing.
I'm not sure exactly when I realized that I was a chameleon but I have a few guesses. It's probably when I noticed that I was willing to do anything to make one person happy, even if that included smoking or spending all my money on them. I've gotten out of control before and it's gotten me into a lot of trouble. It's still a problem for me too. The problem is that when I realize that I'm doing it again it's already too late and I can't stop it. It's like watching myself being piloted by someone else and I'm just a passenger. It's scary sometimes how far I can let things go. Really scary.
Don't be a chameleon, be gecko. Those are the unique ones.

No comments:

Post a Comment