Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Trains

I really like trains.  I don't know how to explain it, this incredible fascination with trains.  Passenger trains in particular.

With this said, I have ridden on Amtrak quite a few times.  The only complaint--which is perennial--is that they're slow.  Of course they're slow, they share the line with freight and can only go about as fast as a car on the highway.  If you wanted to get somewhere fast, take a plane.

Either way, something I've noticed which is a pullback from the days when Amtrak was privatized, is that everything has awesome names.  You can tell very easily if a transportation service either used to be private or is private by the names.  For example, when I ride the bus it's the "1B Line", but when I take Amtrak to Osceola it's the mf'ing "California Zephyr".  Yeah, I know it might be slightly more confusing, but I'll take that trade for a slight amount more awesome.

Either way, I rode first class once.  At the time there was a deal that made it cost about as much as if I paid for gas when I drove.  They served champagne and grilled salmon and I had my own private room.

Tl;dr, play Simutrans.

No comments:

Post a Comment